B90X Update - Jan. 31

(In case you are wondering, "B90X" is the name of a Bible reading program I am doing.  The goal is to read through the entire Bible in 90 days.)


Due to the Dooby Dooby Flu and some other interruptions, I must first confess that I am already behind on my B90X.  I am supposed to be mid way through 2 Chronicles, and here I am still working through 2 Samuel.  I had a few days when I didn't pick up my Bible at all, and there were moments when I thought I would just give the whole thing up.  I was discouraged about being so far behind!  But I have to tell you, even through the more...um...dry...parts of Leviticus and Numbers, I was still learning so much.  I couldn't give that up.  So I am chugging along - behind schedule, mind you - but I am determined to see this through.

The main thing that I have seen reading the Bible through this way is that it is all about God.  I know.  I know.  No deep theological revelation there, but when you take a Bible story from here and a Bible story from there, you tend to think of the Bible as a book about men.  It seems almost people centered.  (As in, "Isn't this person so amazing?  He/she was a screw up, but he/she still had God show up in their life!")  But it is all about God.  Reading the stories of creation and Noah and Abraham and Moses and now David consecutively has helped me see that God is moving.  Of course, I always knew this cognitively, but it is very, very cool to see that it is always God and His character that rises to the top as I read through His Word.

Right now I am chugging through the life of David.  Probably one of my favorite parts in his life is when he finally brings the Ark of the Covenant back to Jerusalem.  The uncontrollable joy he expresses over this melts my heart.  (Of course, his nagging, critical wife is a good reminder to me as well...)

David had him some jacked up family members!  Incest, murder, a coup...whew.  If you mixed Maury Povich and CNN, you would have a good picture of David's family life.

The friendship of David and Jonathan is a beautiful relationship.  Although Jonathan should be heir to Israel's throne, he recognizes God's plan for David's kingship and is a faithful and loving friend.  There is no jealousy or scheming.  It reminds me of John the Baptist's heart.  J the B had people asking him over and over if he was the Christ, and you would think after awhile the thought would start to grow...at least a little.  But his response was, "A man can receive only what is given him from heaven."  Jonathan seemed to get this too.

I'm going to keep working my way through the entire Bible.  It may take me way longer than 90 days, but I have a feeling it will be worth it no matter how long I'm at it!

Comments