My Favorite Holiday

For those of you who have been around this blog (or my real life) for more than a year, you probably already know that today we celebrated my favorite holiday - Kitchen Christmas.  It isn't a widely celebrated holiday (although geographically it is spreading...), but it is one of my favorite days of the whole year.

My Kitchen Christmas elves


The gang working on ornaments

The "before"
The "after"
Kitchen Christmas started back around 1962 in my Grandma's kitchen in Pennsylvania when my oldest cousin, Doug, was a few years old.  She and my grandfather put up a little tree in their kitchen (my grandma jokes that since she spent so much time in that room, she ought to have a tree in there to enjoy!) and they let Doug make ornaments to hang on that tree.  We've never missed a Kitchen Christmas since.  Over the years the ornament ideas have ranged from a cardboard star covered in aluminum foil to strung popcorn to hand print cutouts, but the fun hasn't ever changed.  It was always a day I looked forward to - lots of food, fun, and family and laughter.

Even though we now live 12 hours from my grandma's kitchen, we have continued the tradition, as have many of my cousins who also live too far away to gather together on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  This year we celebrated with friends who feel like family here in TN, making ornaments and enjoying cookies, games, and fun.  I hope my boys continue to celebrate Kitchen Christmas when they are grown and married with families of their own.

Here are some pictures of my favorite holiday...

Comments