People

Tonight I took Marshall for a walk around the neighborhood. I was feeling a little blue, quiet, and down in the dumps. I figured getting outside for a little exercise would help me get some motivation to tackle the tasks I have been neglecting at home. I wasn't in a very perky mood, so when I noticed an older couple wandering slowly in front of us, I slowed down a bit to avoid having to interrupt their leisurely evening stroll. And to be honest, I wasn't sure I was up for all the southern pleasantries.

But alas, when you have a dog as adorable as the Moo-man who is committed to winning over the entire neighborhood with his charm, eventually the couple stopped to admire him. I smiled, and answered the usual questions about him. ("We have no idea what breed he is. Our vet said it's the first dog he doesn't have a good guess for.", "We think he is about 5 years old." "No, he doesn't shed at all.", "We got him from a rescue.", "He doesn't bite, has never messed in the house, and his worst habit is he likes to give kisses.", "Yes, he is the most wonderful dog in the universe.") They mentioned they were here visiting their son who lives in the neighborhood, and from there we began chatting. We talked about the weather (it is hot!), their farm back home, the way southerners talk, pets, families, adoption, and church. We stood there and talked for almost an hour.

I doubt I will ever run into this nice couple again, but the hour I spent chatting with them about this and that totally changed my mood. I headed home feeling lighter, more energized, and just...happier. Nothing we talked about changed any of the circumstances in my life, but talking about nothing changed the way I felt. I am not as extroverted as I used to be, but tonight I was reminded that there is something wonderful about people.

Comments