The Best Christmas Party Ever


A month or so ago, Jude and I began the adventure known as "reading a chapter book". I wasn't sure he was ready to keep up with a continuing story night after night, but I shouldn't have been worried.


I have waited for the chapter book phase for a long time. I am not sure why, but I couldn't wait to snuggle up with Jude and read a chapter of a good book and guess together what would happen next. But I wanted to start sort of simple. And I wanted to know the book wasn't going to get all freaky-deaky on us the further we read. So I chose an old favorite of mine, a true classic. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.


I don't know if you've read it, but it is a fabulous story about six tough as nails siblings who invade a church and end up playing the lead roles in the Christmas pageant. It is dear to my heart, not just because it is so funny and well written, but also because my father had a role in the play version, and in high school I got to play the part of Gladys, the youngest (and might I say toughest?) of the Herdman kids. I loved the book, and hoped Jude would too. I wasn't disappointed.


We finished the book last week, and to celebrate we had our own little "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" party, complete with the movie version and a Christmas themed cake. The boys helped decorate the cake (and sneak licks of the icing as evidenced by Cal Henry's nose!) and we cuddled up to watch the story we love unfold.


It was the best Christmas party ever.



Comments