You Think You Really Know Somebody...

...until you discover what music they listen to. Twice in recent weeks my perceptions of people have been rocked (no pun intended) when I found out a little about they music they listen to. First there was Mary Lee. I thought I knew her pretty well. Then one evening I got in her van and saw...a KISS cassette! What????? Kiss????? The guys with the tongues and the makeup???? I mean this came as such a shock to me. Mary Lee strikes me as more of an... REO Speedwagon kind of person. She claimed the tape belongs to her husband, but the mere fact that Mary Lee may have at one time been a passenger in a vehicle where Kiss was playing still is enough to turn my world on its axis a bit.

Then last night, I found out that Stephanie likes (no loves!) Michael Jackson. Huh??? I have to admit, while I haven't known Stephanie as long, I just never saw that one coming. Never. Totally out of left field for me. All I could think was, "Say, Say, Say what???"

So I have decided in an effort to be transparent, I will share with you a few of my personal choices of music found on my iPod.

1. ABBA - Dancing Queen

2. Blake Lewis' version of "You Give Love a Bad Name"

3. The original Broadway cast recording of "Fiddler on the Roof" (You can't have anyone but Tevye singing "Tradition"!)

4. Pretty much everything by Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, and Queen

5. MC Hammer "Can't Touch This"

6. Paul McCarthy "My Brave Face"

7. Lots and lots of praise and worship music (including Mandisa's "Shackles" and some classic Stryper)

8. Vanilla Ice "Ice, Ice, Baby" (You know you like it too, don't act all appalled...)

9. Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons "December 1963"

10. Carmen "The Champion"

As I look at this list, I have NO IDEA what it says about me, except that I love Jesus and the early 90s were good for me musically (not so much otherwise - I spent most of that decade in the "awkward phase".). I guess you can draw your own conclusions about me from looking at my iPod.

If you are up for it, post some of your favorite music in my comments section. I am feeling a little vulnerable here.

Comments

Goozle said…
Flat Bottom Girls - :)
Goozle said…
How about The Carpenters, Natalie Cole, Manhattan Transfer, Earth Wind and Fire
Smead said…
Soundtrack to Gettysburg; Toby, Garth, and my new favorite Josh Turner (LOVE the song "Me and My God"!); Jimmy Buffet; Melissa Ethridge; Frank Sinatra; Lisa Ekdahl (Swedish singer with a great name !); Meatloaf; Cat Stevens; James Taylor; Beethoven; and even some Mandarin language lessons.

I guess this means I am either quite indecisive or very open to things.
Norwood Mama said…
Sarah, Tori, Natalie, some Brazillian woman, Coldplay, Veggie Tales, Carly Simon, the Sound of Music, Van Halen, all of the cd's from weeks at church that i have missed...
Aly-Rae said…
Michael Buble, U2, Crash Test Dummies, Diana Krall, Dave Matthews Band, Luciano Pavoratti (thanx to daddy), and my beloved Nat King Cole (best for rainy days)
dino said…
LET ME SEE. NEIL DIAMOND, DEAN MARTIN, RICK SPRINGFIELD, WAYLON JENNINGS(YOU FORGOT THAT ONE ANN) JANET JACKSON(BEFORE SHE GOT TO NASTY) TRISHA YEARWOOD(GARTHS BETTER HALF) AND OF COURSE MY DADDY