March Goals

Awhile ago (a long, looooong while ago...) I decided to start setting a few small goals for each month to try and make strides towards bigger life goals I have. Unfortunately, the idea of monthly goals never became habit, but I am determined to try again. In the spirit of optimistic perseverance, here are my little goals for March!

Drink more water. Shouldn't be rocket science, but I have to make a concerted effort to choose water over...well, flavor. I was on a roll back in the "detox" days but unfortunately I have fallen off the H2O wagon. I have even slipped so far as to begin sipping on caffeinated beverages. I had a brief and delicious fling with Mr. Pibb, but now I have been not so subtly reminded that my body needs water. Even if I have to add some fresh squeezed lemon and a dash of Stevia, I need to drink more water.

More letters from home. I want to do a better job of sending letters via snail mail to Inessa. We email back and forth almost daily, and it is such a JOY to read her brief messages. But I remember what a little envelope in my college mailbox did for me, and I want Inessa to receive a little tangible reminder more often that she is loved and thought of. At least once a week I pick up some little something that reminds me of her (anything Hannah Montana or a cute hair accessory!), and while I am sure it is nice to receive a little package, I want to become more intentional about sending her the gift of loving words.

Finances. Finances. Finances. I confess here openly that I am an emotional shopper. And lately, well, things have been emotional. You do the math. I started the month by taking out my monthly cash for food and household expenses, and I am determined to make it last until the 28th. I did some hard core meal planning and purchased groceries for the first two weeks of the month. I know if I can stick to a menu here at home, we can save a decent amount of money by not eating out. I want to stay under or at budget this month. It might be tight, but I am determined to do it.

Less TV. I have been mulling over the role of TV in my family's life for awhile now (I may have even mentioned it on here before), and I am convinced we could all use a little less of it. We are actually a family who doesn't watch a ton of TV (not because we are more educated than the average American, but because we are cheap and don't have a good cable package at all), but I know we could stand to watch even less. There are a few (a very few) things on TV that are family staples - Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, The Biggest Loser, some PBS, and sports - but there are times when the TV is just...on. I am feeling convicted about the level of noise in our home. I want to be sure I can hear the still small voice of God and what may not be being said by Mark and the boys over the constant blah, blah, blah of the box. I even have days when I think about getting rid of our TVs. But, like I said, monthly goals are just baby steps.

Reading with the boys. With the time freed up from in front of the TV, I want to start reading to and with the boys. I ordered a really neat book from Amazon called "Leading Little Ones to God" by Marian M. Schoolland. It is a great book that helps explain basic (and some not so basic) Christian theology for children in age appropriate language. We have started it, but haven't been consistent. I also want to find a fun fiction book to read to the boys at night. Jude and I read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" a little over a year ago, and it was so much fun for both of us. I am looking for recommendations, if you have any ideas!

So these are my March goals - nothing terribly earth shattering or life changing, but hopefully little steps in the right direction. I'll let you know how it goes!

Comments