Random Thoughts

Wow.  I have been so out of the blogging groove it almost isn't funny!  I took a break during spring break, and then it just felt kind of good to let things just sit...both in my mind and on my blog.  I know it annoys me when people don't update their blogs (sorry, Kathy Wheeler!), but it felt too forced when I would sit for a few minutes and stare at a blank page here.  But I am back, and to ease back into the blogging habit, I'm throwing out one of my random thoughts posts.

Routine is good. I am either getting older or more organized (sadly, older may be our best bet...) but after a completely wonderful spring break, I desperately craved our routine.  It makes me laugh to look back at who I was and how I operated even ten years ago.  Routine drove me crazy.  I was a very spontaneous, spunky, fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl ("you know, moment to moment.  That's me.  Um-hmm.  You know, you could pay me.  That's one way to kind of break the ice."). Sorry.  Flashback to college and the Pretty Woman quoting we did there. I'm back now.  

I don't know if it was having children, learning to manage a home, or two years of being exhausted, but I adore our "normal" life.  The every day things delight me, and while I can handle a curve ball now and again with ease, I actually enjoy having some idea of what may be coming next.  Mark and I have a great daily routine established with the boys, and we have a fun, but not too hectic weekly routine (Wii Wednesdays, tennis Thursdays, and church Sundays).  I am finding that while I like spring break as much as the next person, there seem to be more moments to be had in the routine of life.  Real moments to laugh or talk or serve or play.  Routine is good.

So here's the scoop on my health.  For those of you who have followed the saga of the detox, I had my follow up appointment yesterday with Dr. Holistic.  While the detox diet was brutal (I mean physically, emotionally, and spiritually brutal), the results have been close to unbelievable.  My energy level is better than it has been in years and I have been able to sustain it for about three weeks.  I'll be honest - I thought the detoxing was a little overboard for me - I didn't for a minute think I was terribly toxic (insert "She's so not self-aware" laugh here).  But those 28 days really rocked my world.  

Dr. Holistic reviewed some test results with me that were pretty surprising as well.  I am deficient in some pretty important vitamins (C, B12, B6, and very deficient in D), and my hormones are definitely not right.  (Low progesterone and very low testosterone.)  So we are spending the next six weeks trying to pump me full of what I need while slowly adding foods back into my diet to see what I may have a reaction to.  Last night I had an egg, and I swear to you - it tasted like chocolate covered gold!  

I wasn't a big believer in the toxins/refined sugars/raw eating genres, but what I have seen and experienced has been truly shocking.  I am encouraged (yesterday was one of the few times I left a dr's office encouraged, and the only time I left with a plan to help me feel better), and I am excited about what the future may be like for me health wise.  I can't tell you how good that feels!

My heart is heavy.  Over the last few days, I have been really burdened for people who are hurting.  I know cognitively that bad things happen, but my heart is so heavy right now for all the pain and sorrow I can see from my little corner of the world.  I don't know if it feels so shocking because I can finally focus on others after 28 days of being so focused on me, or if this is just a season of hurt for some reason.  I was almost physically uncomfortable yesterday as I thought about the situations that are grieving people I love.  I'll be praying.  Even though you may not know the situations, I'd love it if you'd pray too.  

Living passionately = "Where did my comfort zone go?"  Our church is doing a challenging series called "One Month to Live".  This week's message was about living passionately.  Whew.  I really encourage you to take a few minutes and watch the message online (www.longhollow.com).  Mark and I are heading outside our comfort zone this summer (waaaay outside), and while I have moments of complete "Holy crap!" terror when I think about it, it was a real kick in the proverbial pants to hear this message.

To my sweet Yankee friends: Do not be alarmed by the pastor.  He is a good man who just happens to have an accent and a quirky sense of humor.  Yes.  He is from small town TN.  Yes.  He gets the church to say "Amen".  Yep.  I realize he may not be the suit and tie kind of preacher you picture down here.  But wow - God uses him!  Be entertained by the "southern-ness" and be fed by the Word!  :)

The most life changing rhetorical question in history:
     "Why do you look for the living among the dead?"

I was struck this Easter by how profound and amazing this one line is.  God is so cool!

OK.  That's all I got.  And good for you if you read all this!  Hopefully I will be back to regular blogging soon!

Comments