OK, This One May Be a Little Political...

...but not much.



I have a couple of thoughts on the election that I decided to share. Now I am sharing because for the last year or so, it seems like everyone else has been blah-blah-blahing about the election while I sat back and listened. So here is my turn. (Don't worry - it will be brief and not terribly controversial.)



1. I think it is terribly exciting that the voter turn out was so high yesterday. I had the privilege of early voting here in the great state of TN, so I didn't see how patient everyone had to be yesterday, but I give a shout out to everyone who took the time and effort to vote. There are so many places in the world that don't want or allow the peoples' voices to be heard. For all this country has gone through for freedom and democracy, we owe it to ourselves to exercise the blessing of a vote.



2. Having said that, I also hope that we don't find out in the next few days or weeks that there was some sort of voter fraud (ala Acorn). I would feel this way regardless of who won. I can't imagine anything more disconcerting than the people not choosing their president via electoral votes.



3. I admit right here and now that I was (and will continue to be) a McCain/Palin supporter. That being said, I also love and respect democracy enough to say that Barack Obama is my next president. I have my reasons for supporting the ticket I did, but now that the election is over, I have some things that I expect from Obama. In no particular order: I want to know who he will pick as advisers and cabinet members. It seems like he has spent time distancing himself from "advisers", so I want to see who he will bring around him to stay. I worry some. I hope a lot. I want to know the specifics of the health care plan, the tax plan, and the plan for Iraq. He will be the commander in chief of these troops. I pray he will seek wise counsel and not popularity.



4. Two issues that weigh heavy on my heart: Abortion and Israel. I pray that this next administration will spend more time and effort reducing the need for abortions than tearing down "barriers" to an abortion. Anyone for some serious adoption reform??? As far as Israel goes, I readily admit that I am not an international politics guru, but I will say that in my heart I pray that the next administration respects that the Lord God chose to reveal Himself through this nation, and for that reason alone, we need to be wise and honoring in our relationship with Israel.



5. Some things I love about this election: Despite my questions with some of Obama's policies, I am so, so, so very happy that our nation has an African-American president elect. Obama the person isn't who I voted for, but I do love that his election is a visible example that the presidency is for anyone. Of course, I would have been equally thrilled if Sarah Palin became our first female vice president (more so based on issues). I loved "getting to know" Sarah Palin. I hope she comes on back to a ballot near me soon!

6. The election is a great reminder that we choose a President, but God is King. I pray God blesses Obama's service to our country and I pray He grants him wisdom and favor.

I am Ann Kimmel, and I approved this message.

Comments