I Am...

This morning I was reading the Gospel of John and I found a footnote that said that Jesus describes Himself in "I Am" terms seven times in the book of John. Knowing how Jesus described Himself seemed like an interesting thing to look up, so I did. What I found most remarkable is that everytime Jesus describes who He is, He also reveals who we are as His followers. His "I Am" leads to our own "I Am"s. I thought it was amazing, so I am going to post it here.


John 6:35 I Am...the bread of life. Because of who He is we will never go hungry or be thirsty.

John 8:12 I Am...the light of the world. Because of who He is we will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life.

John 10:7,9 I Am...the gate of the sheep. Because of who He is we will be saved. We can come in and go out and find pasture.

John 10: 11, 14 I Am...the good Shepherd. Because of who He is we know Him and are known by Him.

John 11:25 I Am...the resurrection and the life. Because of who He is we will live even if we die.

John 14:6 I Am...the way, the truth, and the life. Because of who He is we know and have seen the Father.

John 15:1, 5 I Am...the true vine. Because of who He is we will be fruitful.


Knowing who Jesus is gives me a clear and beautiful picture of who I am. As his follower, I know that my deepest needs will always be met, I will never walk in darkness, I will be saved, I have an intimate relationship with Him, I will live eternally, I know God, and I can be fruitful. I can't think of anything else I would want to add to that list! The best part is that none of that is based on anything I do or say or am. It is all because of who Jesus is.

Beautiful.

Comments